Monday, November 15, 2010

Testimonial to my beloved mom, my inspiration

Originally printed in March 2009 in our recently closed 'SHOP BLOG', Since this was a personal note, update, at the time I thought I would post it here on our now one and only blog.

Hello friends. It has been a long while since I have written...seems longer than the actual days that have passed.
Happy New Year to you all! I hope you were fortunate enough to spend the holidays with loved ones. We had a pleasant holiday season, always have to keep it festive for the kids sake, but it was a difficult one as well.
The day after I last wrote my beloved mother took ill. She had a stroke...her 2nd in 9 years... and this one involved too many issues for any one person to recover from. I thought I'd take today to share my personal thoughts about my mom, her life, and death. Some of the simple, but plain truths she taught me, by example. I'm so fortunate, to carry within me, these beliefs as I journey through this world and share with my own children as they grow into adulthood. Simple, but plain truths I learned because of her.
She and my dad married in 1961. What a typical traditional couple they were. My mom took her role as housewife very seriously and my dad worked every day to pay the mortgage. My best friend always thought of my mom as Mrs Cleaver from 'Leave it to Beaver'! I don't remember her vacuuming with her choker length pearls on but she was always dressed smartly in a skirt and blouse.... and our house was spotless. That's right it would easily pass the white glove test any day of the week.  My dad came home each night to a nutritionally balanced, home cooked meal and we all ate together. Every night, everyone ate together. Take out food was a treat, maybe once a month if that. After dinner, my dad would ask my mom is she wanted help with the dishes, she'd always say no and he'd loosen his tie and go read the paper in the living room. My mom would do the dishes - no dishwasher, no garbage disposal, life was so different than it is now.
CONTINUED

I started this entry in January and got swept away, but here I am again. There is too much to write about about my parents & their wonderful lives together in this sitting. I will save that for my FOOTBRIDGE COVE TIDBITS blog on blogger.footbridgecovetidbits
At Footbridge Cove our shop is surviving the recession...are we still calling it that? However, each day I find myself looking toward the future with a renewed enthusiasm, even as things are in flux with the economic times. Each day there is something positive to find. Look inside yourself, always have faith, funny that is probably the most important legacy my mom left behind... and she, nor I, until now never even realized it. ALWAYS HAVE FAITH.
I love you mom, not an evening goes by that I don't talk to you before I close my eyes for the day
The King and I Jan 08 220                                                        
                                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~
So folks stop by FOOTBRIDGE COVE when you get a chance. We have plenty of inventory to list so we we won't be going anywhere... and yes we'd like to sell what is currently listed, so feel free to make us an offer. We are pleased to consider it.


No comments: