Hi all, I'm always looking for new vinaigrette recipes. Please add your own to comments if you wouldn't mind sharing.
What is vinaigrette? A basic oil and vinegar combination used to dress salad greens and other cold meats. In it's simplest form , vinaigrette consists of oil and vinegar. Usually 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar with salt and pepper. You can use any fresh herbs or spices to change the flavour. Always use extra virgin olive oil for the best flavour.
Red and Yellow Pepper Vinaigrette
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons warm water
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients until combined well. This vinaigrette will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days. Recipe may be doubled. Makes one cup.
Try these simple vinaigrette recipes with your favorite salad greens.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (juice of one small orange)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon table salt)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the juices and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oils until incorporated. A blender or food processor may also be used. Pour into a glass jar and seal. Serve over your favorite salad greens. The vinaigrette will keep, tightly covered, for a week in the refrigerator. To warm cold vinaigrette, place jar in a bowl of hot tap water for a few minutes.
Mustard Chive Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Using a whisk or fork, in a small bowl combine all ingredients except the oil. Slowly add the oil, whisking vigorously, until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Pour over your favorite salad greens and toss. Store remaining vinaigrette in the refrigerator, in a tightly sealed glass jar, for up to one week. To warm cold vinaigrette, place jar in a small bowl of hot tap water for a few minutes. Makes 1/2 cup.